The Lip Lab Sydney: A review

August 28, 2017

Photo by: Kyra Kendall
When I first heard about The Lip Lab Sydney, I was extremely excited about the entire concept. The chance to create my own custom shade, with total control of the colour and undertones. For a lipstick fiend like myself, it automatically went straight on my beauty bucket list. (And by beauty bucket list, I mean the list of things I want to do/purchase but just maybe not this exact week.) So when I received a little envelope with a gift card inside for my birthday last year from a close friend, I wasn't expecting I would get to experience The Lip Lab a lot sooner than I had planned. However, I am who I am and I put it off till this past June. (Oops.) So finally, June rolled around and I decided you know what, I think it’s time to use this gift card before it expires. I always love some good old fashioned 'it’s about to expire' motivation. So I rallied up my troop, (my troop being my mum who dropped me to the station and my close friend who accompanied me.) And we set off into my favourite kind of battle, to find myself the perfect nude. (Okay, so maybe it wasn't that dramatic, but hey-finding a good nude can be just as much of a battle as any, and I stand by this opinion.)

Okay, enough introduction-lets get to the important bit. That is, how was the experience. Well, for this post I decided a debrief conversation with my good friend who accompanied me would be best. The audio will be posted of the entire experience, but first I have included some footage of the process of creating the custom lipstick below. Check it out before you have a listen to the review so you know what we are talking about!







Here is our full review, make sure to click on the 'listen in browser' option if you're on your phone:




And here is the packaging: 






Our custom lipsticks: My 'brick red' as the colour consultants called it on the left, and Maryam's custom peach shade on the right. 




After care instructions.

My Custom colour: Brick Red with a 'matte' finish (If they say so!) and Cappuccino flavouring.
Here are some swatches:


Arm swatches. 'Mandy' on top, 'Mary' underneath.
Honestly, the formula isn't half bad. Its creamy, pigmented and it will stain (this is a good thing.) Only thing is that the shape we chose is slightly hard to work with, in terms of applying it to the curves of the mouth.

Mandy on the Left, Mary on the right. Kind of wish the lip plumper was available after seeing this photo.

Thats it! Hope this post was informative in some kind of way. I will say, although perhaps it didn't live up to my expectations, everyone is different. And if you do choose to visit the Lip Lab, you may just come back with a totally different opinion. I know our review included some negative aspects, however you may just enjoy it far more, but I think definitely go with this thought (as well as a colour!) in mind. And at the end of the day, I do love a lipstick, so I actually use my 'Mandy' lipstick quite often, and you know what-maybe a creamy lipstick isn't so bad after all.  




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Popular Posts

Flickr Images